Emotionally Focused Therapy
EFT for Couples (EFCT)
Emotionally Focused Therapy is a short term (8 to 20 sessions) structured approach, originally developed for couple therapy and based on attachment science, formulated in the 1980’s. Interventions in EFCT integrate a humanistic, experiential approach to restructuring emotional experience and a systemic structural approach to restructuring interactions. A substantial body of research now exists on the effectiveness of EFCT. This research shows large treatment effect sizes and stable results over time. EFCT is used successfully with many different kinds of couples in private practice, university training centers and hospital clinics. Preliminary research exists for couples dealing with depression, with anxiety resulting from trauma, with medical illness and with forgiveness dilemmas. EFCT is used with varied cultural groups and educational levels across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa and Asia. It is used with traditional and non-traditional couples.
- To expand and re-organize key emotional responses and, in the process,
the organization of self.
- To create a positive shift in partners interactional positions and patterns,
thereby reducing conflict and distress.
- To foster the creation of a secure bond between partners that leads to
increased relational satisfaction.
EFT for Individuals (EFIT)
Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy is an attachment science-based approach to individual therapy that, like the other EFT interventions, offers an integration of experiential interventions focused on reshaping intrapsychic experience and systemic interventions focused on reshaping patterns of engagement with significant others and the world around the person. Emotion is given precedence across treatment modalities given its powerful role in structuring both inner experience and motivation and key interactional patterns in relationships. Emotion links and organizes core experience and interaction.
- To offer corrective experiences that positively impact models of self and
other and shape stable, lasting change.
- To offer transformative moments where vulnerability is encountered with
- To enable clients to move into the accessibility/openness, responsiveness
and full engagement that characterises secure attachment with others.
- To enable clients to shape a coherent sense of a competent self that can
deal with existential life issues and become a fully alive human being.